I think that this is a commendable effort to get to know the ‘humanity’ of addiction, but I am concerned that it also perpetuates the stereotypical view of many, that addiction only impacts ‘those’ people. It also connects substance use to sex work, which at times is, but just as often is not, connected, and implies a correlation. There are as many reasons why folks get into sex work, as there are sex workers, and the same is true for addiction. This story depicts ‘addiction and the addicted’ (and by extension sex workers) in an impoverished New York City neighbourhood, like so many others across North America and other parts of the world; this is NOT a realistic picture. Addiction impacts people from ALL walks of life, ALL levels of education, ALL genders, ALL cultures and ethnicities, and above all, ALL levels of socio economic status. If I had a dollar for every time I have heard a well-off (educated and/or employed/housed/well clothed/well fed etc) addict tell me that they are not an addict because they are not like ‘those’ people I could probably pay off my student loans… The same is true for folks making ‘hierarchical’ comparisons regarding sex work… What we ‘see’ on the streets, in this, and other neighbourhoods like it, is roughly 10% of the actual battle/issue. It is the stereotypes and stigma that keep the other 90% hiding in their cozy suburban and upper class neighbourhood homes, and prevents them from being honest and seeking help/support; thus keeping addiction and the addicted in the margins of our culture, and fueling the victim-blaming agenda of the status quo, at the political, and personal levels. Again, a commendable, and sincere effort from what I have seen/read/researched about this project, but not a realistic picture. And unfortunately, for all of its good intentions, the project inadvertently strengthens the ‘us and them,’ mentality, and takes the systemic issues (context) right off the canvas.